Corpora for teaching and learning: Funded by the Flexible Learning Development Centre, Aston University.
Outcomes/Outputs and Evaluation:
A. The project will significantly enhance teaching and learning by providing these outcomes and outputs:
- Corpora in English, French, German and Spanish (minimum 5 million words each, maximum 10 million words each), including specialized corpora wherever possible.
- Translation corpora (minimum 1 million words for each of the 4 languages).
- Software (suite of computer programs) to process and analyse the data, and produce outputs (minimum: frequency lists, concordances; some exercise templates and testing templates).
- Documentation for corpora and software.
- Dissemination of project achievements and training of staff in use of corpora.
B. Evaluation will be both quantitative and qualitative, consisting of:
- measuring corpus sizes achieved
- a questionnaire to staff after training, concerning value of resources, ease of software use, value of outputs for teaching, etc
(post-project: student module evaluation questionnaires will reflect their reaction to use of corpus resources by staff; later, student access will be reflected in their progress and projects)